Wednesday, July 09, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green

Hush, Jesse.  Just hush.  It's never going to be the way it was, you'll not be who you were, so my advice to  you is to stop coveting.

Don't get me wrong.  What you did was invaluable.  You trod through hell for my benefit.  For Sen. Obama's benefit.  For my brothers and sisters and closer to home, my nieces and nephews.  I was too young when they unleashed water and dogs and vitriol and arrogance on us, but even were I not, I'm not confident that I would have had your courage.  For that, I honor and revere you.

However, your reason for such a statement is transparent.  Even if you believed that Sen. Obama was condescending to the Family, surely for such an offense, suggestion of castration is a harsh remedy, even in jest.  That's what white folks did to us, Jesse.  How on earth does that come to your mind?

In this week, a racist of the highest order died.  He was an unrepentant bigot who may have, if not personally performed such a barbaric ritual, then certainly had no regret if others did.  Are you in any way like him?  I think not.

Don't then let what time, history, and the Almighty wouldn't allow for you, jaundice your opinion of what might be for another.

And dude.  Check the mic.

No comments:

Post a Comment