Sunday, November 02, 2008

More More No on Prop 8

Go with me here for a second.  I was just thinking about marriage as an American institution.  Other institutions would be education, the legal system, financial, transportation (highway, rail, air), the military, health care.  That's a start.  Am I correct?

Could access to any of these institutions be denied a citizen based on sexual orientation?  The one that comes closest is the military, which in fact does not deny homosexuals the right to serve, but rather denies the right to proclaim.  Still, these institutions are available to all citizens, I believe guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Therefore, the denial of the institution of marriage to a citizen, any citizen, is unconstitutional, which is what, I believe, the California Supreme Court ruled.

I say again that it is my opinion that the church, any church, has no dog in this fight.  It is a civil issue, not religious.

Prop 8 may pass in California on Tuesday, (aided in no small part by big money from the Church of Latter Day Saints, I might add) but it will come up again, and will eventually be defeated.  A society cannot discriminate against a large faction of its members indefinitely.  The human spirit will not allow it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:36 PM

    Think about the history of the Mormons and marriage. Seems to me that they've been through the fight about who's allowed to marry. They definitely had a dog fighting then and it didn't come out so well.
    I have trouble seeing why that fight is much different than this one.

    ReplyDelete