Saturday, November 08, 2008

B.O.S. Holds His Spiritual Ground While Unraveling My Sweater!!

I'm going to put this up while I gather my thoughts for a response mostly because I want anyone out there to appreciate Brotha Old School's point of view which he shares with the many who passed Prop 8.  It's what has to be countered, appreciated and not wholly villified as best as countering belief systems held in the soul can be if propositions like Prop 8 are to be defeated.

BOS writes:
Ms. Anne,

I can add the "n-e" now that you understand it's short for your pen.

I hadn't anticipated this becoming such a loose-thread issue.  So I just wanna say, by keeping me pulling at it, don't blame me if your whole sweater becomes unraveled, rendering you topless.  (More wishful thinking than a metaphor.)

A couple of things I gotta make clear here.   First, understand, I have gay family and friends who are very dear to me.  Secondly, in no way do I proclaim to be more holier than thou.  In fact, at times, I stand to be accused of being a down right hypocrite.  Which, ironically, qualifies me in God's eyes to represent.

I need you to bear with me here, if you will, if my response comes a little slow.  I came up in the 60s and experimented with some things that perhaps I should'na.  Sometimes collecting my thoughts can be an infinite repetitive effort.

What makes this situation a wee-bit awkward for me is, I've spent most of my life avoiding the law and politics.  You might say, I gravitated more towards the aspect of the" affect" than to the "cause."  But when, collectively all my social mistakes and misguidings begin taking their toll, it forced my hand to believe or not to believe.  About God, that is.  I chose to believe.

Coming up on the opposite side of the law, I learned a lot about rights and legal loopholes and that both could be manipulative.  It usually all comes down to representation.  Which as a legal sec, I'm sho you know.  Far too often legal and constitutional terminology is ambiguous and is left solely to the mercy of belief for it's interpretation.

Time has unfolded new eras and ways of life, with some things anticipated, while others, never imagined.  The founding fathers were sharp.  But not so sharp where as they could clearly foresee in detailed account the evolving life-style of the 21st Century.  They left a basic blueprint that one would hope would be carefully amended with the balance of good morals, judgement, and fairness.

Now, I may be cutting my own throat here with the next following statements, but nonetheless I'm compelled to make.  The founding fathers could be regarded as hypocritical to the very constitution they wrote.  Because in their day they did nothing to correct things such as freeing the slaves or giving women the right to vote.  Which makes one wonder and ask the question as to why?  Is what's good for the goose good for the gander?  Were they just thinking, well eventually in time these rights will come into play?  Or did they even mean it that way?

In their time, homosexuality, was not just a taboo, it wasn't even allowed in the closet.  It had to be kept in the out-house.  Do you believe they ever meant equal rights for all was ever to be interpreted as a comprise to the Sanctity and integrity of Holy Matrimony by same sex marriage?  You think?

If you think that God approves of same sex marriage, then we're obviously referring to two different Gods, or you just simply haven't been reading your bible.  Or should I ask, are you referring to the God of the bible?  That's the one I choose to go with.

I have the utmost respect for you academic intellect, my dear, and have no qualms admitting that I'd quickly cower with most challenges in that field with you.  But this is a spiritual issue that continues intensifying with your every utterance.

I'm no preacher and have no intentions of ever becoming one.  In fact, sin kicks my ass on a daily basis. But in spite of that, I believe God is on my side with this issue and I can't lose with what I use.

Peace out,
B.O.S

No comments:

Post a Comment