Friday, November 07, 2008

Brotha Old School Responds Further To Ms. An On Prop 8

Brother Old School is still calling me Ms. An but I think I'm getting to be okay with it.  Short for Anonymous.  I get it.  Damn history.  BOS responds:
Ms. Anonymous Sec., a.k.a. Ms. An.,

My point, "It's A God Thing!"

I say that, yet understanding, religion and politics have a mixing capability liking to that, of oil and water.  Which often forces one to take a stand on one side or the other. For me, this proposition in which we debate, is closely characterized to the scenario of, doing right for the wrong reason, or doing wrong for the right reason.

Admitting, from the Civil Rights perspective, you post strong arguments. However, Ms. Sweet, lovely individual, the public institutions you reference the rights to, in my view , pale in comparison in their entities to that of the institution of marriage.  You feel me?

But for the sake of argument, for rights in general, may I expound to the point that some rights come with conditions.   These particular rights I refer to as "base-rights."  Base rights you must qualify for in order to execute.  Such as being of age to vote or buy alcohol.  Gays have always had a base right to marry.  To qualify you simply must be of age and marrying an individual of the opposite sex, to constitute husband and wife.  Simply enough to qualify.  However, totally un-acceptable to the case.

So, here, one proposes the question, does the case have the right to change the purpose?  If you're short, do you have the right to demand the basket to be lowered in order to play basket ball.  Or are you required in order to play to play by the standards?  If you change the recipe to a dish, the dish then takes on a new characteristic and thereby should be called by a different name.  Pancakes and waffles have very similar ingredients, but their slight differences are what make them what they are.

There is an aspect of society, myself included, who believes marriage is sanctioned by God, or at the very least, endorsed.  Without God's approval, such a union, at best, can only be a secular civil union.  Beleeve-dat.  Which is why I say, it is, what it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment