Wednesday, October 22, 2008

We Dress Up

The headline is a line from a play I did a hundred years ago.  I think it was "Spell 7" by Ntozake Shange.

I blame Palin and the RNC for a lot of stuff, but I don't blame them for spending 150K to dress her up.  You get picked to be VP, you can't show up in the Twin Cities in mukluks, track suit and Canada Goose parka.  Realistically, that Nancy Reagan red jacket she's been wearing is at least $450 if it's a dime.  You gotta spend money.  I get that.

What I do blame Palin and the RNC for is the sneering condemnation of "elitism" and pronouncing themselves "real" Americans while wearing $5K on their backs.  (Did you see these badass boots she wore?)  To call it hypocritical is mild.  It's the culture war shell game.  You don't see what you know you saw.

UPDATE:  You know, if they were so keen to make the point that Palin and the RNC were really just regular folks, they would have sent her out there to sneer at community organizers in the mukluks, track suit and parka.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:37 AM

    Yeah, I didn't think that was a big deal either. If it had been me, it would have been a higher figure for sure!

    ReplyDelete