Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Michelle, Ma Belle

I worked last night well into this morning.  Great overtime, but I encountered the got home buzz, not being able to fall asleep until almost 3:00 a.m.  I had taken my laptop to work to catch Michelle's speech, but got entrenched in doing my job and only heard it in the background.  Luckily, by the time I got home way late and put my feet up, the video had posted.

As Anonymous Sis said, it was magnificent.

But even as I listened to a graceful and elegant endorsement of her husband, I was annoyed that this speech's purpose was to make Michelle more accessible to voters, as if she had to defend herself and way of being to an America afraid of black women.

I bring this up for two reasons.

One, dNa's (real name Adam Serwer) weekly contribution to The American Prospect (which also houses Ezra Klein, another of my favorites) addresses this exactly.  This young man is one of my favorite essayists.  He hit the nail on the head about resenting it being necessary to make Michelle go down easier with America.

Two, I'm fairly certain I Scary Black Womaned a co-worker today, even though my complaint with her had nothing to do with race, but about effort made to get a job done.  That was my complaint which I brought solidly to her doorstep.  I fear, however, that that's not what she'll take away from the lesson.  I'm more inclined to believe she'll take the SBW line by no more than me being me...apparently a Scary Black Woman.  More of me being me...I feel bad that I was so harsh with her and plan to apologize in the morning, which apology will have nothing to do with my SBWism and more to do with me being a huge softie and hate that I may have hurt her feelings, no matter how deserved it was.

Anyway, Michelle's magnificent speech.


No comments:

Post a Comment