Sunday, September 28, 2008

McCain's Choice and The People I Adore

Ouch!  Frank Rich writes a scathing criticism of Sen. McCain, complete with snarky asides and links to prove his point.
To put these 24 hours in context, you must remember that McCain not only knows little about the economy but that he has not previously expressed any urgency about its meltdown. It was on Sept. 15 — the day after his former idol Alan Greenspan pronounced the current crisis a “once-in-a-century” catastrophe — that McCain reaffirmed for the umpteenth time that the “fundamentals of our economy are strong.” As recently as Tuesday he had not yet even read the two-and-a-half-page bailout proposal first circulated by Hank Paulson last weekend. “I have not had a chance to see it in writing,” he explained. (Maybe he was waiting for it to arrive by Western Union instead of PDF.)
Damn, Frank.  Uncle.  Uuuunncle.

I bring this nasty little post from Frank Rich up because, in reading the entire article, facts and incidents that I had read about were reaffirmed.  As Sen. McCain "suspended" his campaign (but not really), I wondered what the frak was on his mind.  Even at my most critical of Sen. McCain, I would be hard pressed to pull out all stops on the obnoxious snark in criticizing him.  I think, as I believe Sen. Obama does, that it serves no purpose other than bringing the snarker down.  That's not to say I don't politely dance around the snark, but even was I able to write like Mr. Rich, I don't think I would.

I wouldn't because there are people that I know, admire and adore who support Sen. McCain.  They also read this blog simply because I write it.  That means something to me.  This is no salvo across their bow, but rather something I think that I would never discuss with them in person; not that they should care.  Did I mention that they are people I admire and adore?

All currency held by Sen. McCain with me has been spent.

It's not McCain's ostensibly suspending his campaign to work on a deal he had no opinion of or even timely read that did it.  It's not for his drama regarding his appearance at the debate.  It's not for his sneering condescension to Sen. Obama in the debate.  He has every right to follow the path of his choosing.  And frankly, I think Obama should be able to deal with it or get out of the race.  This is the time that tests their mettle.

It is for McCain's VP choice alone, all respect that I had for him, was spent.  It says something not very admirable about his judgment and ambition that Gov. Palin is his choice.

There can be no defense of this point to me, even from people that I know, admire and adore because many are lawyers; lawyers who would eviscerate McCain's VP choice were she to be a deponent.  And then they would all come back to the office and slap each other on the back about how simple she was.  They would never stand for such meandering equivocating unthoughtful responses; nor should they.  That they believe it is okay in McCain's choice for a vice-presidential candidate, something infinitely more important than a weaselly money-grubbing malingering plaintiff, is something I have a difficult time accepting.

I'll never bring this up...in person.  But just so it's fair, if you are any of the ones I know, admire and adore and have something to say, you can use the comments.  You can even comment anonymously.

No comments:

Post a Comment