Sunday, February 08, 2009

Oh Man...Come On Steele

Honestly.  Only in the Republican bizarro world would obtuse thinking like this be even considered.  Michael Steele on This Week w/George Stephanopoulos.
STEELE: But you've got to look at the entire package. You've got to look at what's going to create sustainable jobs. What this administration is talking about is making work. It is creating work.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But that's a job.

STEELE: No, it's not a job. A job is something that -- that a business owner creates. It's going to be long term. What he's creating...

STEPHANOPOULOS: So a job doesn't count if it's a government job? [..]

STEELE: ... That is a contract. It ends at a certain point, George. You know that. These road projects that we're talking about have an end point
STEELE: As a small-business owner, I'm looking to grow my business, expand my business. I want to reach further. I want to be international. I want to be national. It's a whole different perspective on how you create a job versus how you create work. And I'm -- either way, the bottom line is...
STEPHANOPOULOS: I guess I don't really understand that distinction.
STEELE: Well, the difference -- the distinction is this. If a government -- if you've got a government contract that is a fixed period of time, it goes away. The work may go away. That's -- there's no guarantee that that -- that there's going to be more work when you're done in that job.
STEPHANOPOULOS: Yes, but we've seen millions and millions of jobs going away in the private sector just in the last year.
STEELE: But they come -- yes, they -- and they come back, though, George. That's the point.

I hate to compare men based on color but Steele is like the anti-Obama.  Did Republicans hoodoo a rip in the time space continuum so they could get their own colored guy?  Did they grab some middle management altverse box thinker and believing one is as good as the next, shove him through the shimmering hole in time?  Listen, Bizarro Obama would be sharper than this.  Remember that Star Trek episode where Evil-verse Spock had a goatee and sash and liked pussy and completely owned Kirk?  Yeah.  That's not Steele.

Work is not a job because work ends and jobs don't?  Tell that to those who are losing jobs at Microsoft.  Microsoft.  Come on Steele.  Lookit.  I'll just out and out say that I'd really like you to do some good because you're a black man.  There.  I said it.  I'm probably going to be diametrically opposed to your positions but still I'd like to kind of look at you kind of like I look at Colin Powell.  Yes indeed -- Republican military careerist, but day-um.  At least try to kick it up.  And here you have an opportunity to make something substantive out of this position and prove that all the intelligent visible Negroes aren't all democrats.  You can't do that if you're parsing the difference between work and a job to the working...er...I mean...jobbing, public on TV!  It's stupid.

Oh, and just a thought.  Do you think Republicans will be parroting your "work is not a job" line of reasoning as a salient talking point?

I don't think the stimulus is meant to be there forever and ever amen.  It's for an injection of capital into the revenue stream to get the economy back on track, without any false economic bubbles, which in turn will give those small business owners capital to work with and expand their business to hire more people.  I don't completely understand this economy in all of its subtle glory, but I think I understand that because I've been paying attention.

2 comments:

  1. Does he realize he is saying that all of Congress and the President are basically unemployed? Im just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sgwhiteinfla:

    Jeez, I wish he'd up his game. Meanwhile, John McCain who SAID he knew nothing about economics is blathering against the stimulus. Sometimes I just have to pull the covers over my head.

    ReplyDelete