Thursday, January 29, 2009

I Get Mine, You Get Yours

Megan Carpentier over at Jezebel (girl knows politics and has a head for finance and is another blog crush who I actually KNOW insofar as one can know someone solely through the internet) has her morning rundown on all things political.  She has been saying for a bit that Pres. Obama should not compromise so much with Republicans, i.e. taking family planning out of the stimulation package per their vocal and public posturing (link forthcoming), because Republicans are not going to vote for whatever package he puts up anyway.  It looks like she was right.  Zero Republicans voted for the stimulus package, compromise notwithstanding.

Adam Serwer is a little miffed about Pres. Obama's compromise too.

I have to think about this some more.  Pres. Obama has a great deal of political capital.  Shouldn't now be the time to use it to basically crush what little Republican capital there is and push his programs through?  On the other hand, he campaigned to be bipartisan - a change to the old way of doing things -- which is what he attempted to do compromising on the stimulus package.  Is Pres. Obama's point to try to cooperate, regardless of how many Republicans voted for the package.  Will he use the Republican non-cooperation against them?

1 comment:

  1. I am torn about this but I am willing to wait to see the final package. I think I could take it better if in the end we pump more money into infrastructure. If the numbers don't change much and or tax cuts go up in the final version I am going to be PISSED!

    ReplyDelete